Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Placement - Hello Family Law!

I received my placement yesterday. I will be working at Coram Chambers with one of the top family law barristers in London. I am very excited about this. Since my interest after law school is to focus in health law, I think family law and public interest this summer will be a good transition. The role of attorneys in London is different than in the U.S. In the U.S. there is one attorney who deals with clients and who also goes to court. In the U.K., those roles are divided. There are the solicitors - they deal with the clients. Then the solicitors contact the barristers, and then the barristers go to court to try the case. So I'm thinking most of my summer will be spent in court, which I think will be a great experience! To sit second chair to a top barrister - I feel very lucky! The placement starts on Monday, so stay tuned :)

Also be on the lookout - so far I've gone to the British Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum, as well as toured around Greenwich. When I get some free time I will blog about those places, including pictures :) Also a nice tidbit - most of the museums in London are FREE! Which is awesome if you are poor law students like me and the kids in my program.

Cheers!

No comments: